Enjoy Whiter Teeth with Teeth Whitening in Markham, ON
No one’s teeth are perfectly white; to some extent, your pearly whites will dull or yellow due to external factors. These include certain beverages (e.g. wine, coffee, colas) and foods (grapes, blueberries, pomegranates). Tobacco can likewise cause teeth to yellow over time. Poor dental hygiene is another top contributor; inadequate brushing and flossing will result in plaque buildup, which discolour your pearly whites.
Yellowed or stained teeth pose a serious problem. Stubborn tooth stains can be embarrassing from some people, keeping them from smiling and interacting with others.
Instead of hiding your smile away, ask us about teeth whitening in Markham.
Teeth whitening is a great way to brighten your smile. At Markham Dental Smiles we offer in-office and at-home bleaching. Our dentists perform professional teeth whitening procedures that brighten and lighten smiles almost immediately.
Tooth discoloration is of two types:
- Extrinsic – when the stains are present on the outer covering of the tooth called enamel
- Intrinsic – when the stains occur in the deeper layer of the tooth – dentin
The common causes of tooth discoloration include:
- Diet (coffee, wine, berries, food drinks, etc.)
- Poor oral hygiene
The first thing we notice in someone is the person’s smile. Everyone wants to have the picture-perfect, whitening smile. It boosts the self-confidence and helps in creating a positive social image. Teeth whitening gives you the radiant smile you have always wanted. We offer different methods of teeth whitening to suit your needs. Only one session of dental whitening at our clinic can give you dramatic results. The process is simple, painless and you can have brightening smile just after one hour of treatment.
You can choose either of these methods for teeth whitening:
- Professional teeth whitening
We will first check if you are a suitable candidate for teeth whitening. The dentist will treat deep dental caries, gum recession, etc. before starting the procedure as these dental problems can aggravate tooth sensitivity. After that, the dental hygienist will clean the teeth (scaling) to remove the superficial stains, dental plaque, and tartar.
Tooth sensitivity is a common complaint during and even after teeth whitening procedure. In the ‘in-office’ variant of teeth whitening, the dentist isolates the gums and other tissues of the mouth with protective gel and other isolation products. Also, special lights enhance the absorption of the bleaching agents. There are alternatives to light that can be used in the professional teeth whitening process. We use a simple, cost-effective method of teeth whitening in which the bleaching gel is mixed and activated before the application to give optimum results. After a single session of teeth whitening procedure, you will have up to 8 shades brighter teeth.
- ‘At-home’ teeth whitening
You can also choose the ‘at-home’ teeth whitening procedure to whiten your teeth according to your convenience. The dental team will take an impression of your teeth and fabricate a customized tray. You will also get the instructions for doing the process at home. However, it may take up to 2 weeks to get the desirable results with the ‘at-home’ teeth whitening kit.
‘Over-the-counter’ (OTC) products for teeth whitening like bleaching strips, gels, tooth whitening mouthwash, and toothpaste are also commercially available. However, the OTC products have the following drawbacks:
- The concentration of the bleaching agents is low in these products. They can only remove the extrinsic stains on the teeth.
- The OTC products can cause side-effects if swallowed. You may have stomach irritation, nausea or ulcers in the mouth.
- It is quite likely that you will get an ill-fitting tray with these products that will expose the gums to bleaching solution and cause side effects.
Why should you get your teeth whitened at a dentist’s clinic?
- A licensed, trained dental professional carries out this procedure, and so you can rest assured that you’re in safe hands.
- The concentration of the active agents is high in the bleaching solution used in an ‘in-office’ teeth whitening procedure. The special tools enhance the absorption of the bleaching agents in the deeper layer of the tooth. Thus, you can be free from the deeply ingrained, intrinsic stains.
- You get instant results that last longer with professional teeth whitening as compared to those obtained by other methods.
- You can simply relax in the dental chair while your dentist whitens your teeth. Professional teeth whitening does not require your active involvement unlike the ‘at-home’ variants of tooth whitening.
How to maintain the radiant smile after teeth whitening?
You may notice stains on your teeth after some time due to dietary habits, smoking or poor maintenance of oral hygiene. We recommend you to follow these effective steps for ensuring that the results last long.
- Avoid consumption of wine, colored drinks, fruit drinks, coffee or tea, at least for 2-3 days after teeth whitening. You can drink liquids with a straw as it protects the teeth from coloring agents.
- Also, it is better to avoid colored food substances like grapes, tomatoes, berries, chocolates, etc.
- Follow the regular oral hygiene maintenance regimen of brushing and flossing.
- Avoid eating foods that are too hot or too cold during the initial 2-3 days. The sudden fluctuations in the temperature may lead to tooth sensitivity.
- Quit smoking as it can cause tooth discoloration.
You don’t need to hide your teeth behind your smile anymore. Give yourself a dynamic look by exploring the benefits of professional teeth whitening.